The National League of Cities (NLC) has established its 2014 leadership team. The group was appointed by National League of Cities President Chris Coleman, mayor, Saint Paul, Minnesota. The NLC works on a number of initiatives with Mayors throughout the country designed to further positive growth in cities. Municipal leagues are also one of the critical avenues of training internships for future civic leaders.
“This is a critical time for cities. Cities are America’s centers of innovation, driving economic growth and solving problems at a local level even as Washington remains in gridlock. As we recover from the recession, I look forward to working with NLC’s committee and council leaders for direction on how cities can continue to lead and help make America strong,” Coleman said.
The full roster includes:
Community and Economic Development Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Lavonta Williams, councilmember, Wichita, Kan.
- Vice Chair – Mike Wojcik, councilmember, Rochester, Minn.
- Vice Chair – Craig Thurmond, mayor, Broken Arrow, Okla.
Energy, Environment and Natural Resources Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Bill Peloza, councilmember, Auburn, Wash.
- Vice Chair – Cindy Lerner, mayor, Pinecrest, Fla.
- Vice Chair – Cindy Circo, councilmember, Kansas City, Mo.
Finance, Administration and Intergovernmental Relations Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Sarah Levison, councilmember, Longmont, Colo.
- Vice Chair – Cynthia Mangini, councilmember, Enfield, Conn.
- Vice Chair – Andy Hafen, mayor, Henderson, Nev.
Human Development Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Vicki Welch, councilmember, Louisville, Ky.
- Vice Chair – Mia Gregerson, deputy mayor, Seatac, Wash.
- Vice Chair – Angelia Williams, councilmember, Norfolk, Va.
Information Technology and Communications Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Beth Humenik, councilmember, Thornton, Colo.
- Vice Chair – Jeffrey Quibell, councilmember, Blue Springs, Mo.
- Vice Chair – Phil Goldstein, councilmember, Marietta, Ga.
Public Safety and Crime Prevention Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Scott Somers, vice mayor, Mesa, Ariz.
- Vice Chair – Karen Freeman-Wilson, mayor, Gary, Ind.
- Vice Chair – Scott Maddox, commissioner, Tallahassee, Fla.
Transportation and Infrastructure Services Policy and Advocacy Committee
- Chair – Patsy Kinsey, councilmember, Charlotte, N.C.
- Vice Chair – Robert Bauman, alderman, Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Vice Chair – Mary McComber, mayor, Oak Park Heights, Minn.
Large Cities Council
- Chair – Jim Davis, councilmember, Sunnyvale, Calif.
- Vice Chair – Karen Johnson, councilmember, Nashville, Tenn.
- Vice Chair – Latasha Thomas, alderman, Chicago, Ill.
First Tier Suburbs Council
- Chair – Corey Rushton, councilmember, West Valley City, Utah
- Vice Chair – Stan Koci, councilmember, Bedford, Ohio
- Vice Chair – Gary Sherwood, councilmember, Glendale, Ariz.
Small Cities Council
- Chair – Stuart Gillaspie, mayor pro tem, Burleson, Texas
- Vice Chair – Joe Shumway, councilmember, Laramie, Wyo.
Universities Communities Council
- Chair – Peter Haga, government relations, Grand Forks, N.D.
- Vice Chair – Amy Marie Vizzo-Paniccia, councilmember, Bridgeport, Conn.
- Vice Chair – Alice Rodriguez, councilmember, Waco, Texas
- Chair – Sheri Lauritano, councilmember, Goodyear, Ariz.
- Vice Chair – Don Rosen, commissioner, Sunrise, Fla.
- Chair – Darryl Moss, mayor, Creedmoor, N.C.
- Vice Chair – Matt Zone, councilmember, Cleveland, Ohio
- Vice Chair – Mark Mitchell, mayor, Tempe, Ariz.
Council on Youth, Education and Families
- Chair – Karl Nurse, councilmember, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Vice Chair – Kristin Szakos, vice mayor, Charlottesville, Va.
Corporate Partners Leadership Council
- Chair – Alex Hannah, vice president, Marketing Communications and Education, ICMA-RC
- Vice Chair – Laraine Davis, vice president, Community Development, Wells Fargo
Military Communities Council
- Chair – Martha Sue Hall, councilmember, Albemarle, N.C.
- Vice Chair – Arturo Pecos, city commissioner, Kingsville, Texas
- Vice Chair – Ron Garcia, mayor, Brea, Calif.
Legal Advisory Committee
- Chair – Bennett Sandlin, state league director, Texas Municipal League